Dinner tonight: Salmon cakes, sauteed kale, and wasabi-garlic mashed potatoes.
(The boy just got a new camera and is going to be my food photographer.)
This is my new favorite way to eat salmon. The only modifications I had to make to the recipe were to use a flax seed “egg” instead of an egg white, and wheat-free tamari for regular soy sauce.
Last time we ate these with coconut rice (basmati rice cooked with half water and half coconut milk) and sauteed chard; this time we had mashed potatoes and kale. Delicious both times!
Fresh Salmon and Lime Cakes
Makes about 12 2-inch cakes
- One 1-pound skinless salmon fillet, any pin bones removed, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tsp. ground flax seed mixed with 2 T hot water (or one egg white)
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, chopped, or 6 thin strips lime zest, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped chervil or flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 3 T gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Oil for frying (something neutral, like corn, canola, or vegetable
Combine the salmon, flax mixture or egg white, rice flour, lime leaves or zest, ginger, wasabi paste, and chopped parsley in a medium bowl.
Combine the lime juice, tamari, and brown sugar in a small bowl and mix well.
Heat the oven to 300°F. Heat 1 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat. For each cake, shape 2 tablespoons of the salmon mixture into a small patty. Place in the hot pan, and cook until lightly golden on one side (1 minute or so); flip to cook very briefly on the second side and remove to a rimmed baking sheet in the oven to finish cooking, about 5 minutes. Serve with the lime juice dipping sauce.
Recipe from Donna Hay, via The Essential New York Times Cookbook, via Bon Appetit, modified by me.
Wasabi-Garlic Mashed Potatoes (vegan)
- 2 lb (approx.) Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into chunks
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 1 T wasabi powder
- 2 T Earth Balance margarine
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
Boil the potatoes until soft, about 20 min. Heat the milk and whisk in the wasabi powder until dissolved and lump-free. Melt the Earth Balance in a skillet and saute the garlic over medium-low heat until just fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Drain the potatoes and mash with the other ingredients until creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.